Thursday, April 9, 2009

Is twitter a business tool or just a time waster?

Just had to say it...Twitter fan are you? Boss calling you a twit? I mean asking you to tweet about goings on in the company? I wanted to touch on a non technical persons way into the digital business world and when I saw a video put out by Advertising Ad, a site I go to for updates on marketing trends, I thought it be perfect example. The video is about how this woman, Carrie Bugbee, started playing a character Peggy Olson from a popular TV show MadMan on twitter and ended up with a new type of targeted marketing agency business! I don't watch the show or know about the other characters she plays, but the premise for using twitter to create out of the box opportunities for brand building is here to stay. As we look under the shell of the twitter tool, some call it social networking media, it's a business tool that will save companies money and is raising the bar for quick response to issues. Unprecedented times with real time feelings, thoughts and not all worthy of our time BUT we even have CNN giving us real time updates on the pulse on America.

So back to Peggy...Connie...Like using a hammer to bang a nail, this woman become the character and built an audience following so great she won a Shorty Award, showed AMC, the people who owned the copy writes to the material, that 12,000 people liked the show so much they followed it so it organically became a more popular show all because of the special pointed tweets consistently placed on twitter. It's a 9 minute video , but it reveals the legs of where all this social media can take us. A creative person who has now started her BigDealPR business around entertainment's boutique shows, basically she shows us how to hammer away at tweets and build a following!

So is twitter for business? Some still say no... Twitter - information is in scary real time and let me tell you big brother, twitter, Google,Yahoo, Digg this, and any online community has tremendous information going through their networks-who gets is out first and raps it pretty for corporate marketing wins! I should stop now to avoid going from 6 degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon to him sitting on my lap and drinking my latte. Post reactions comments and let me know how this has helped you optimized your digital world.

On my blog calendar ...I will review the legal side of data leakage, and yes, I will bring back twitter for another round of how it complicates yet it feels so good to use because it is another way to listen to the ocean of valued customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment